Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Over the weekend (by now, last weekend) I slept quite a bit (though you wouldn’t know it with the way I’m feeling at the moment. We went into town and went shopping which was a bunch of fun, there’s a farmers market down there with loads of fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, flowers, etc. It also has a lot of clothes and cards and posters and jewelry stuff like that. I got a birthday card for one of my housemates and a poster of NY City’s skyline to brighten up my room a bit and I also got a loaf of bread which was really good but I still haven’t finished it yet. Food goes quite a ways when it’s just one person eating it. In the downtown area there are a lot of little shops so we tried to find our books in used bookstores but this didn’t work out too well so I bought a couple at Borders and am going to go back on October 10th when they are having a 20% off student discount sale, which means, it’s really 40% off (if you convert pounds to dollars, how great!) I ordered the edition of Hamlet I need off the internet because they didn’t have a copy with critical essays in the back (or at least not that I could find.) They also didn’t have I Know Why the Caged Bird sings which was quite disappointing, I figured they’d have it. Oh well. What they did have…. was the entire harry potter series….but all the British editions! I’ve already bought the 7th one and I’ve gotta get Jill the first one so I’ll do that when I go to get the rest of my books for school. Oh I guess I haven’t even mentioned what classes I’m taking. Well, I’m taking Shakespeare (pretty self-explanatory), Cultures of Childhood (where we’re exploring the idea of the child through books such as…. Peter Pan, Adventures of Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass, Diary of Anne Frank, The Secret Garden, Skellig [Jay I brought the copy you gave me!]), and I Know why the Caged Bird Sings so, those books will be great to read and we’re going to look at a bunch of poetry too which should be interesting. I’m also taking cognitive neuropsychology, even though I took introduction to cognitive neuroscience at school I figured its such a broad topic I’ll be very likely to learn some new material and there’s nothing wrong with some repetition, that’s how you learn the best anyway. But I’ll give some details about my classes later, this post is supposed to be about my weekend but I’ve clearly already veered off topic. We also took a York Boat Tour which goes down the Ouse river, it’s kind of a gross color but I guess that’s because of the sediments it passes over, they change the color of the water (the tour guide was a bit hard to hear). It was a little short and kind of expensive for what we got but oh well that’s how it goes with tourist attractions I guess. On the way we saw some swans so I took pictures (since I know dad likes swans). After that we did some more shopping I think, hmm, I didn’t get anything else though since I didn’t really see anything I needed. Of course we went to some pubs over the weekend and I’ve discovered how delicious cider is, yum yum. Also I’ve discovered that people do drinks here in rounds, so you don’t have to go up to the bar everytime. But then it kind of works out that sometimes someone won’t have to buy a round and they’ll be paying less than someone else but eventually it should all work out (maybe?). We also went to a nightclub one of the nights here, well I tried to go one other time but waited in line in the pouring rain for an hour and then decided I didn’t really care that much. But the nightclub was kind of fun, we just all danced in a circle around our purses on the ground and then we took a cab back because it was a bit of a hike and all of our feet were sore. But yeah I don’t think I really like the whole nightclub scene, I’d rather just watch a movie or go to the library and take advantage of the internet. Sunday might be the most exciting day so far, since we had a proper English roast, delicious! For 6 pounds I got roast beef, mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, vegetables, gravy, bread, a diet Pepsi, and this amazing dessert – a chocolate cake filled with white chocolate and covered in hot chocolate sauce. Now doesn’t that just sound amazing? Sorry to disappoint but I did not happen to catch a picture of it. After this we walked to the train station to purchase rail cards – they get you 1/3 off of your train tickets. It was 20 pounds but I’ve already saved 5 pounds by using it once so it was a good deal (either that, or train tickets are wicked expensive, you take your pick). Hmm what else did I do this weekend….set up my room some more, spent some quality time at the library, stuff like that. Overall, a good weekend.

1 comment:

mimi said...

Hi,
Tom and I have been looking at your great pics and I read him all of your adventures. Such fun. He'd like to share the chololate dessert tho, yum. He loved the mountains in the lakes district and we thought the swans were beautiful. I like the Platform 9 3/4 picture. Frame that one for you and me.

Enjoy, enjoy.
Love you,
Tom and Mimi